Manistee report

Big Water Fishing Reports for Lake Michigan
Vicki's Seacret
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Feisel

Manistee report

Post by Vicki's Seacret »

I had a lot of fun fishing with my grandson Joshua last week in Manistee.
On Wednesday we headed south a couple miles, set up in the 13's and trolled south. The water was flat calm, a nice day for a boat ride. We tried spoons, flashers/ flies, and j-plugs, and fished different depths from 90 to 300 ft. Fished till 11 am without a hit. The only bites we got were from the darn ankle-biter flies.
On Thursday we changed plans and headed straight west out of the harbor to 100 fow and put the boat on a north troll. Got the first downrigger line set 50 ft down and started to work on the second rigger. But before I could do anything, the first rigger got hit by a king. Landed that one, and then the hits kept coming. In the first hour we were 3/4. Finished fishing at 10:30 with a score of 6/8 (5 kings, 1 laker). Joshua caught our biggest fish, 20 3/4 lb King. Spoons were the only lures used that morning. Moonshine "Bad Toad" and "Green Jeans" were the best producers.
Josh with 20 3/4 lb king
Josh with 20 3/4 lb king
thumbnail_IMG-1786.jpg (229.49 KiB) Viewed 422 times
Thursday's catch
Thursday's catch
IMG-1795.jpg (4.19 MiB) Viewed 422 times
On Friday morning we enjoyed having Tom "Bad Dog" Gorguze fishing with us. We repeated Thursday's game plan and caught our first fish before we had all the lines set out. The action was steady until ~8:00. After the bite died we tried adding some flashers/flies and j-plugs to the spread, but no luck. We pulled lines just after 10:00 when the temperature dropped and the fog rolled in. Finished the morning 7/9, all Kings. Six of them were in the 10-16 lb range, and one small ~4 lbs.
Josh with his hands full!
Josh with his hands full!
IMG-1803.jpg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 422 times
Friday's box
Friday's box
IMG-1806.jpg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 422 times

Bad Dog
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Gorguze

Re: Manistee report

Post by Bad Dog »

It was fun fishing with Bob and Josh Friday. This spring the fishing in Manistee has been very good. Saturday I went back to the same area we fished Friday, but the fish had moved south. Reports were good from anglers between the 14's to 10's. We ran down to the 12's at 9:30 and banged a 15# and 20# before heading in at 10:30.
Sunday morning I set up in the 12's and went south. The fishing was steady. We ended up going 6 for 10 with four kings, the biggest went 25#.

Bob Paradises

Re: Manistee report

Post by Bob Paradises »

When is the club going to decide to have a fishing tournament, there should be ways to social distance and still have an outstanding event.