Sterling State Park

Big Water Fishing Reports for Lake Erie
channing

Sterling State Park

Post by channing » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:47 pm

TNT and I tried for perch out of SSP today. The uniformed officers of the DNR were all over the ramp cautioning boaters that there were 3 to 4 foot waves and reminding people to have the required safety equipment. We felt compelled to try anyway so out we went. Got 1 and 1/2 mile out hoping things would settle down a bit once we got into some deeper water. No luck. It was not dangerous (only took one wave over the bow). The decision was "do I want perch or do I need perch"? Mostly 3 foot with a few 4 foot waves is not a fun fishing day for me. With a lot of perch already in the freezer we decided we would not subject ourselves to the beating we would take if we continued. Turned around and went back to the ramp. Some guys in similar boats took the beating and came in with some nice catches. Many others decided to go home and fish another day. I'm bummed because it looks bad for the next few days. I'll keep trying, it's really fun to harvest a bunch of perch. Dan

Aquarius

Re: Sterling State Park

Post by Aquarius » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:36 pm

Blue star went today with three other guys , they andup with the limit of 200 perch , he's got 25' boat so they were ok.

pgjeldum

Post by pgjeldum » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:29 am

RJ and myself fished last Thurs out of Sterling State Park also. We did good on the perch start out in front of Sterling Park at the Mich/Ohio border line. Looks like there have been a lot of good perch reports from there for a while now.
Paul Gjeldum
Blue Horizon

Rich Janis RJ

Post by Rich Janis RJ » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:52 am

The guy's that I hunt & fish with will tell you that when you retire you cant count right. Paul an I ended up with 99 perch just to be on the safe side. I threw one back. I am on a fix income an can not afford a ticket. Lol.