Ice Fishing 1-23 &24 2016

Big Water Fishing Reports for Lake Huron
Gaspare T

Ice Fishing 1-23 &24 2016

Post by Gaspare T » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:09 am

Nice jumbos from Mitchell's Bay Canada with Bob P, his
son Mark, grandson Luke, and friend Brian.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 4961 times

Bad Dog

Re: Ice Fishing 1-23 &24 2016

Post by Bad Dog » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:19 pm

blaise wrote:....can't wait for our ice outing on Jan. 30. Hope the ice holds up
I'm going to keep my eyes on Gaspare and follow him to his honey hole!

Ken Robinette

Post by Ken Robinette » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:50 pm

Hi my name is ken robinette iam new to the club and new to ice fishing I need help on where to go I have the gear any help would be great

Bob Paradise

Post by Bob Paradise » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:23 pm

Ken we will be having an outing this Saturday at St. lukes , this is Canadian waters, Not sure if we will be driving are quads and snowmobiles, but I will be bringing mine over there. Anyone who wants to make the trip give me a call at (586-457-4073) . We fished there last weekend and did pretty good.

channing

Post by channing » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:18 pm

The DAS LSC ice outing turned out to be on Mitchell's Bay instead of St. Luke's. The turnout was pretty good with 7 of us on Mitchell's Bay and a few more on St. Luke's Bay. Those of us on Mitchell's Bay caught perch all day long. The size was not what we would have preferred but with persistence and much sorting we all came home with a very good catch. I'm probably the worst guy out there and I'm sure I caught around 250 perch in order to take home 49. Why 49? Because I don't like recounting so when I hit 49 I stop just in case I miss counted. You will seldom see fish pictures from me because my crank phone takes a poopy pictures. That's why I did not include any photo.

We fished about two miles straight out in 5 fow. Just about anything would get a hit but most of the fish were caught on 1 1/2 inch Guster spoons with ant-freeze beads. Just to try something different for bigger perch I went to a perch jig rappala for a short time. It was not much different, still a lot of sorting but it takes longer to remove the small ones from a jig rap so I stopped using it. However, after a few minutes jigging with the jig rap I got the hit I was looking for. My perch rod bent in two and I thought I had a prize until I got it up and found a 6" perch on the front hook and a 7" perch on the back hook. Bummer! Never had that happen before.

Everyone was off the ice by 1 pm and bottom line, everyone caught perch and had fun.

How was the ice? No ice is safe ice but we had 5" to 6" of ice in most areas but you had to be careful where you went. There is an open crack out there where we fished and we were only able to stay out there because the wind direction was favorable for Mitchell's Bay, locking the ice in.

I do not recommend going out there until after this thaw and "if" we get a good re-freeze to make things better.

That's my story.......Dan

Bad Dog

Post by Bad Dog » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:03 am

The Mitchell's Bay outing was great fun! Definitely my best day on the ice. I couldn't find my rods and tackle on Friday, but was able to borrow a hot set up from Blaise. When a big fish ran off with the antifreeze Guster I was using, Baise was kind enough to sell me a red Guster. It was just as hot. Crossing the border at Algonac, was just a half hour drive to Mitchel's Bay. If you've been on the fence about getting a Canadian fishing license, act now while the US dollar worth 40% more than the Loonie.